Pages

January 6, 2013

Penny-farthing

gomeansgo 

I've heard the term "Penny-farthing", but not until recently did I find out what one was.
A Penny-farthing is the name of a bicycle from the Victorian era, easily recognizable
because the front wheel is very large, and the rear wheel is much smaller.



mcgarnagle

In this photo of the British penny and farthing coins,
we can see how the difference in their size inspired the unusual name for this bicycle.
Now, isn't that a fun bit of trivia?



qtpi1969


This was the first machine of its kind to be called a bicycle. Other names it
was referred to are "high wheel",  "high wheeler" or "ordinary" bicycle.


peugot.mainspot.net



My interest in the penny-farthing came with this recent necklace
I created for Paisley Beading. You can find them at my shop HERE.

DSCN6378N


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I'd love to hear what you think!