Pages

November 14, 2012

Cranberries

via decascranberry

We hear lots of talk these days about antioxidants, and we know cranberries are full of them. Well, listen to this. The only place in nature where the most powerful antioxidant is found is in cranberries!

One of my most memorable vacation moments involves cranberries.  My husband and I were driving along the New England coast. Absolutely by accident, we came across a Massachusetts cranberry bog. As luck would have it, they were in the full swing of harvest! I remember how startling it was to realize that those gorgeous red swirls were actually floating cranberries! Of course this was long before the recent telltale Ocean Spray TV commercials. It was the first time I had ever heard of what the cranberry harvest entails.

I could have stayed there all day to watch.

via cranberryfestivals.com
via dujardindesign.com
via tripadvisor.com

OK, if you're intrigued, here's an interesting video to 
watch & learn more about this unique process.
Fix yourself a cup of tea, relax, and be fascinated.

Stick around for my mom's luscious Cranberry Jello Salad recipe!





My Mom's Cranberry Jello Salad

This is much nicer than opening a can and dumping it into a bowl,
but still very easy to put together.
(Although, you still may have a few die-hards for the plain stuff!)
Celery and walnuts give this the perfect crunch!



1   large pkg. raspberry jello
1   can whole-berry cranberry sauce
1   14 1/2 oz.can crushed pineapple, drained (note that this is the smaller size can)
1   cup chopped walnuts
1   cup chopped celery

Very simple. Follow directions on the box of jello.
Add other ingredients, stir well, put in 13x9 pan, chill until set.

Delicious, especially with chicken or turkey! A Thanksgiving favorite!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe seems so easy but delicious! I'll have to try it out this year. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I'd love to hear what you think!